Saturday, June 19, 2010

Ready, Set, NO!

Last night, Whitaker had a hard time getting comfortable and did not get very much sleep at all. Therefore, neither did I. When I woke up this morning, my eyelid which has been hurting progressively each day this week, was almost swollen shut. It looks awful and I took a picture of it and put it on facebook to request help from my nurse friends/family on facebook. I cannot understand why no one clicked "like" underneath that picture. It is so lovely. ;-) The responses were varied throughout the day, but the verdict is a stress-induced stye that might need medication to get better. I really appreciated everyone's suggestions, and have tried some warm compresses which may have reduced the swelling a tiny bit. It still hurts like crazy and looks "pretty gross" in Tretter's words.

Our day started like this:

Substitute Neurosurgeon comes in and looks at the back of Whitaker's head, says he looks good, and we can go home. Some student nurse comes in to take his vitals and takes FOREVER doing it. Nurses give him meds again, and he looks really tired and uncomfortable. John and I feverishly start to pack, excited to bust out of this joint.

The nutritional team brings breakfast, and Whitaker has no interest in it; he looks kind of nauseous and requests a bath. Then he says, "Sooner or later, I'm going to throw up." Great.

Nurse: May we help you?
Room 427: Can we get some more emesis bags, please?

Then we had some confusing exchange from a slightly bitchy nurse that was not keen on typing up discharge papers for us and told us to settle down because it would be at least an hour. Then we told her we didn't want to leave if he wasn't eating and doesn't feel well. We requested more zofran, because it is the reason he still has two IV ports in. Blah, blah, blah, we didn't leave today.

Whitaker refused to eat any lunch as well, kind of fell asleep, and John left to go mow yards in Tell City. My dad came and then my mom brought Tretter.

Here is where my day got MUCH more fun. I left the hospital, repeat: left the hospital, and went out to eat at Buckhead with my dad and Tretter. It was hot out there, but I didn't care because I got to see the sun, and the river, and Tretter. After lunch we checked on Whitaker (still asleep) and my dad took me to their house to take a shower and put on clean clothes. After a short discussion, I decided to take Tretter to the movies and dad decided to go back to the hospital to be with my mom and Whitaker, and John's parents.

We initially went to see Toy Story 3 because we have heard great things, but when we got there, Tretter wanted to see Karate Kid, so we did. It was great! The acting was awesome, the scenery was gorgeous, and yes, I liked it more than the original. Jaden Smith is absolutely ADORABLE. Two thumbs way up from us! Tretter let me hold his hand in and out of the theater, which means, he still loves me and he might have even missed me a little. He leaves tomorrow for basketball camp in Franklin, Indiana and it is his second sleep-away experience for more than one night, the first being this whole week he spent with our friends who graciously agreed to keep him and take care of him while we were at Kosair. When he comes home, we are going to have lots of snuggling to do. I feel like he has grown up all of a sudden, in a matter of days. I would likely go to pieces about that, if it weren't for the fact that I already have internalized enough stress.

When we returned to the hospital, some friends were here visiting, and John had returned. My parents were still hanging out and John's had just left. We visited for a little while, and Whitaker was feeling better. Shortly they all left and Whitaker put in a movie, which is just about over and we are going to try very hard for a better night than last night. Hope I find my house in one piece.

Peace out!

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there! You will be home before you know it! Rachel is coming up tomorrow with Alan. I know she is excited! Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete