Sunday, June 20, 2010

O.M.G.

Short update tonight because I can hardly keep my eyes open. Partly because one of them is highly infected.
Here's a timeline of today; happily reporting that it is rather boring other than the getting out part.

7:30 am Substitute neurosurgeon came in and said, if he eats he can go home today.

9:00 - We slowly get up and Whitaker does not want to eat.

9:30 John goes to my parents' house in St. Matthews to get Tretter ready to go to basketball camp at Franklin College.

10:00 My parents bring Tretter to see Whitaker and to tell me goodbye before he leaves. Uncharacteristically sweet and heartfelt exchanges between the boys showed that they will both be happy when things get back to normal.

10:45 My dad takes Tretter back to his house where our good friends are meeting to pick John and him up.

11:00 slightly bitchy nurse from yesterday comes in to ask if we are ready to leave. We tell her that Whitaker has only eaten A GRAPE, and that the doctor said we could go home IF he eats and feels well.

11:15 lunch arrives; Whitaker is not interested in it.

12:00 slightly bitchy nurse comes back to ask if we are ready to leave. We tell her that we are taking it slow and easy and not rushing him, and that he still hasn't eaten much. She says the paperwork is ready when we are.

12:15 Whitaker has eaten almost all of the grapes and eats a couple of bites of his lunch (which was awesome, because I ate the rest when he was done.)

12:30 Mom and I decide we are good to go, he says he feels fine, we pack up stuff and tell nurse we are ready for discharge papers.

12:35 she has finished going over the paperwork and made me sign everything and she was going to call a transport person.

12:36-12:47 I cannot find my car keys in the mess of crap we have frantically packed the last two days in anticipation of getting out. I start to freak a little, but only inside, of course, because I rarely freak out on the outside.

12:50 - find keys, go get car, load up Mom and Whitaker and go successfully (aka: puke-free) to my parents' home (only four miles from Kosair!)

the rest of the day went like this: eat a little sleep a little, eat a little, watch a little golf, John comes back, give father's day cards, load up stuff and go HOME to our house! (all puke-free....yay!)

On the way home, I called my nurse friend MG and asked her if she could come over later to look at my eye as it continues to swell and is painful. She says she will when she finishes eating. Later, I remember that today is her birthday and I feel like a total heel for calling her. I call her cell phone and tell her to forget it, but she came anyway and brought her daughter who is Whitaker's BFF since Kindergarten. She looked at my eye, said it was a stye that became what she believes is peri-orbital cellulitis and I need to see a doctor, but not tonight. This was wonderful news, because we all know what a great procrastinator I am.

So first item up for bid in the morning is a doctor visit to see what the heck is up in my eyelid and then a trip to the vet to get the dog. When the dog comes home, he is coming in the house, because dogs are therapeutic, so there.

I'm really tired, like I-came-home-from-the-hospital-with-a-new-baby tired. So peace to everyone, and thank you all for all your support.

I'll check in tomorrow and tell you about my lovely eye. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment