Monday, August 24, 2009

still slacking, but I'll write some cool stories

Over the summer in a desperate attempt to get to meet Kelly Ripa, I drove to Indianapolis at 3:00 am and auditioned for the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show. They were casting for the recent set of shows with Regis and I thought I could possibly get to meet her if I got to meet him.
Anyway, the "audition" is really just a freaking hard test that only about 10% of the people "pass." I could write a whole big long story about the process, but needless to say, I did not pass the test. The producers made us take both the general knowledge test and the movie test for the special week they are having with all movie questions. This trip was only 9 days after my invasive surgery, which rendered me in no shape to travel alone and without sleep, but Kelly-love was calling.

When they first let us into the auditorium, (after waiting about 50 minutes outside), they gave out magnets with a session number and a personal number written on the back. I was in the first session and #334 out of 375 that they let into the room (and I got there at 6:00 which was the earliest they would allow people to line up). There were enough magnets for four sessions.

We had 10 minutes to answer 30 multiple-choice questions on a scan-tron form that we wrote our name and number on. I took notes the whole time, writing down all the questions I could remember after each test.

The questions I remember are as follows:

Regular test:
  • What do statin drugs treat?
  • What computer company has cow-print boxes?
  • Who is Jimmy Wales?
  • Which of the following is a palindrome.....
  • What is the setting of Death of a Salesman?
  • With what Russian did Catherine the Great have a relationship?

Movie test:

  • What is the name of Adam Sandler's production company?
  • a question about some rapper-turned actor, but LL Cool J was the only one I could think of and he was not a choice
  • a question about members of the Brat Pack and which ones were in which movies
  • several quotes that we had to choose from which movie they came
  • several questions in which we were asked to identify which actors were in which movies, as well as directors, settings and plot details - not generalized plot info that one could obtain from movie trailers.
All movie questions were dispersed over the history of American film beginning in the 1930’s. There were also questions about Academy Award winners from before I was born and even one about the specific wording of an award given, if I remember correctly.

Out of the 375 people, 37 passed the first test, 19 passed the second test and about 5 people passed both. Even after being asked repeatedly by crowd-members, the producers would not tell what the passing score is. I have a feeling it is either a perfect score or missing only one question, based on the conversation with interesting but nerdy guy next to me, which is another story.

If I had passed the test, I would have had my picture taken and been given an appointment time to come back later in the day for an interview. I knew immediately upon completion that I failed the test miserably, but I feel like I could have been chosen for the show had I gotten to the interview stage. I guess I am just weird enough. Plus, I was hoping for the sympathy vote.
It was kind of a God-thing that I did not make it, however, because I was getting really light-headed and dizzy by the end of the second test. I had to walk to the nearby Walmart and rest in the bathroom before I could drive back to Louisville where Whitaker was in Art Camp at U of L's Speed Art Museum.

It was an awesome and unique experience and I was so proud of myself for doing it even though I did not become a millionaire! I got to keep the magnet and the pencil they handed out with the closed envelope containing the tests.

Other activities I did this summer were get a new dog, a new septum (for which I was part of a case-study), a new vehicle, and 6 hours of A's from WKU. I also was the grand-door-prize winner at my summer conference where I won a coffee mug (first) and then won a beautiful 8G iPod! So excited and could not believe it - especially since I was still recovering and felt pretty nauseous that day. There were over 200 people there. Yay me! Yay God!

James 1:17 : Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment