Friday, April 2, 2010

recipe for success

If your idea of success is making something that has 100 calories per bite!
Seriously, though....last week my mom had this on her counter and she said it was a week old. I kept eating it right out of the Pyrex dish and I LOVED it!! She emailed me the recipe, which is from Paula Deen. I am guessing I can reprint it here as long as I give credit to Paula Deen, so I will make it clear: THIS RECIPE IS PAULA DEEN'S
(and it rocks!)

Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

Prep Time:
15 min
Inactive Prep Time:
45 min
Cook Time:
50 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
24 servings
Ingredients
Cake:
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 (18.2- ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 large egg
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (1 pound) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted
1 cup toffee bits
Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.

In the bowl of an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking pan and set aside.

In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, eggs, vanilla extract, confectioners' sugar and butter. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Fold in the toffee bits with a spatula.

Pour the filling over the cake mixture and spread it evenly. Bake until the center is just a little bit gooey, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into pieces and serve.


So, I had to use two teaspoons of veg. oil instead of Pam cooking spray because I forgot to buy Pam at the store. I also used one and 1/3 cups of toffee chips (Heath) because I love toffee and I wanted to be able to calculate out the calories in the dessert, and I thought I might have a brain cramp if I didn't just use the whole thing. I did calculate it up, and it came out like this:


cal/serv # servings total for recipe
heath piece 80 45 1200
large eggs 74 3 222
box yellow cake mix 180 12 2160
butter 80 16 1280
powedered sugar 120 15 1800
cream cheese 100 8 800
vanilla extract 10 2 20
veg. oil 120 2 120
7602

calories per piece - 24 pieces 316.75


Lord, have mercy. I did the math twice to make sure that I added that up right. That is about 4 days worth of food for me, considering I would eat the whole pan, but who would do that?!?! Okay, I totally would.

1 comment:

  1. i made this after having it at your moms...and it is wonderful! every last sugary sweet bite! hope you're having a wonderful evening! it's almost summer break!!!! :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete