Saturday, August 14, 2010

We did it!

Finished the Schweizer Fest 2-mile race this morning! My time was just over 24 minutes, which is faster than how I have been averaging according to Nike+ by about a minute per mile. My goals for the race were to finish with a time between 25 and 30 minutes, and to keep running the whole time and not ever walk. I didn't stop at all and walk, although I did get slower a little for awhile. But I never walked. Both goals met. :-)

Taking Beth Moore's advice, I "planned my victory" by meeting my running buddy, Emily, at her house and riding with her. That way, I couldn't chicken out if I had trouble finding a parking spot like I did last month for a zumba class. (Still haven't tried zumba, but my BFF, Missy who is a personal trainer, has it, so we are going to do it sometime in my living room and let the kids play upstairs.)

When we first got there, I felt kind of insecure, but then I got over it as I saw more and more friends, and we got excited about the start. There were lots, I mean LOTS of people there. Even though there were two distances, I didn't feel inferior to those doing the longer distance like I always used to in my 20's. This time I was just proud of myself for getting prepared and getting out there. Except for a 2-mile race in Gainesville right before the Homecoming parade, all the other races I have done were 5K's, but they were in Gainesville, Jacksonville, and Atlanta. I never knew more than one or two people at any of those races, and usually those were the people with whom I had ridden. I liked this sooooo much better, because I felt at home with all the people from school (at least 10 of my co-workers ran) a ton of my former students, the cross-country teams from several schools both nearby and farther away, running and non-running friends, and just a bunch of people I know because our town is so small. We parked in our church parking lot, right where I am used to parking. The girls who took my registration were my sons' teachers. The people giving out water are one of my friends' parents. This familiarity was both completely different and completely wonderful for me, and I am so glad I chose this as the first race of my second generation of running.  I would not have (obviously, as evidenced from last year's efforts) the courage, motivation, gumption, self-confidence - whatever you want to call it - to do it in a strange place.

I loved having people that I know on the sidelines cheering us on! I usually run in the dark or in my basement because I don't want people to see me. Today was a huge risk because I was going to be hanging out there for all to see. I don't think I felt uncomfortable one time about people watching me. I can't remember even thinking about it. That is shocking to me. (I don't have a therapist, but if I did, I am sure s/he would say that is progress.)

I think it is important on this journey to learn what works for each individual. Every runner has different needs, different strengths. I have learned that I run better and farther with a friend. This week I had to run alone a lot and I was lonely and bored. I know it is an individual sport, but I enjoy the companionship of others - and I need it to keep progressing.

People who inspire me: two moms that live in our community who both suffer from MS. I read once about Kristin Armstrong, Lance Armstrong's ex-wife, who is a distance runner, and how she says to herself, "I GET to run today." Instead of plodding along and thinking, "I HAVE to run today," she celebrates her health and wellness and the physical ability to run. I know these two moms would love to run - even if it were just up the stairs to get their children, and into the house with the groceries, or outside to the mailbox. They can't, or at least they can't very easily. I take so many things for granted and I have wasted too much time and energy hating my body instead of celebrating the physical wellness and functionality with which God has blessed me. I think of both of these girls on EVERY run and I carry them in my heart as I (relatively) easily put one foot in front of the other. They inspire me to push my body to be stronger, faster, healthier. They are the biggest inspiration I have. I told one of them that today after the race. I had never told anyone that before today - I guess I just kept it as my own little secret until now. I'll keep them in my heart on every future run, too.

After that, my sentiments go south fast. Vanity kicks in and I tell myself, "I just want to be skinny, I don't care how fast I go, or how far, as long as I lose 20 pounds." So far, I have only lost 4 pounds, apparently all from my left boob. Seriously.....

The girl who won the two-mile race ran it twice as fast as I did. For real. 12 minutes? Are you flipping kidding me? Here's the kicker: she is just as sweet and pretty as she is fast (darn it!) and she ran in Gator NikeTempos just like mine. Her body is nothing short of KILLER. She is right up there with Kelly Ripa, and she's my new hero.

Two of my youngest son's classmates and friends ran the two-mile in 13 and 14 minutes. Is that normal for 9- and 10-year-olds? I'm thinking someone needs to send that into Sports Illustrated.

Where do we go from here? Emily and I are going to take on a 5K next month - can't remember where she said.....I don't care as long as it is a little cooler than today.

I have to give a big shout-out to our uber-encourager, Joyce, who sets an example for all of us with her kindness as much as with her fitness. Thanks, Joyce, from all of us newbies! It was hot and fun, and we did it. and I am soooo proud of us!

2 comments:

  1. Nice work on the race!
    I always tell myself I'm going to try an exercise class at the gym... and then completely chicken out.
    btw, the lion shirt is from macy's on sale so probably not online.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great writing, as always. I enjoy reading your blog, you have the innate ability to make me feel your feelings, feel what you felt like running, and experience it all firsthand. Wonderful writing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete