Friday, August 13, 2010

Dear Kate:

Kate Spade, that is. I have a request. Please hurry and make a really cute cover for my iPhone 4 with pink and green and polka dots or stripes. I love the ones for 3GS, but all they have for the new ones are black and I don't want to look like a manly-man.

Chipper, I can't believe you hurt yourself. I am so glad we went to see you a couple of weeks ago. Will you come back? I say right now it is 50/50. I can see two scenarios. One, he is tired, loaded and doesn't need to prove anything to anyone. He can get his knee fixed and do whatever he wants the rest of his life, in or out of baseball. The other, he wants to go out in style. He wants to be announced loud and clear one last time at every ballpark in the Majors. He always enjoyed the attention, and I think he thinks he deserves it. However, if the recovery and rehab are really painful and hard, and he tries to come back but sucks really bad, he would be embarrassed and want to quit during his farewell tour. Trust me, people, I know these things. What do you think?

Running: I have been running A LOT lately. Like, oh, I don't know, 15-20 miles per week. I know, it is a lot for me, but not for some people. Yesterday I got a new pair of kicks - tried on Mizuno Wave something, a butt ugly pair of Nikes with memory foam in the insole, another pair of Nikes and a pair of asics that were comfy, but decided on the asics Gel Platinum 3. They feel awesome. First race in about 15 years is this Saturday.

It's only a 2-mile but there is a 6-mile distance as well. It is at 8:00 am which is stupid because it is so stinking hot right now. Humans are not supposed to live in this, much less run in it. I also think it is weird that we have 2-mile and 6-mile instead of 5K and 10K like the rest of the world. I think it makes our town seem podunk. Oh, wait, we are a little podunk.

Thankfully, due to a lot of help and encouragement and consistent training, I feel prepared. One of my running buddies wants me to run a half with her. The other one says, "I am not runnin' no half marathon, I just want to be skinny!" Who do I listen to? Well, how about myself?

The boys had back-to-school night. Thrilled with their teachers. W was a little bummed about some of his BFF's not being in his class, but he was excited about some of the kids that are in there. I am always encouraging them to make new friends, and after everything we have been through this summer, we are hoping that everything will go smoothly this year. Oh, who am I kidding? I was mad because the doors were locked when we got there and we had to walk around outside and it was HOT, the tables in the fifth grade classroom are TOO SMALL, the newly-adopted math textbook is NOT challenging enough, and T's high ability class is not cluster-grouped very well. at all. by academic ability or behavior. Come. on. There are some uber-bright kiddos in that class and they need to be encouraged and pushed, not distracted and punished (by special area teachers who out of necessity often evaluate the entire class as a whole). T had five migraines this summer as a result of getting yelled at in baseball by the toughest coach ever: dad.  So now back to that other comment, it's not brain surgery; it's just elementary school. Let's not freak out.

Except that I have in the last week gotten a huge, exciting reason to freak out. But you have to wait to the next post to find out what it is!

Oh, and one more thing. Dear Tiger: Karma's a bitch. You need to hang out with Tim Tebow, but not at his barber's.

No comments:

Post a Comment